Sunday, November 16, 2008

You Snooze You Lose

This school year has been really hard for me. I received a Bachelor's Degree in Bilingual Education PK-4th grade in 2005 and I'm teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade, Social Studies-World, Texas, American History and Vocabulary. Crazy, uh?!?! I have about 130 students with 4 subjects to prep for each day. So, if you are wondering where I have been or what hole I crawled into...you now know. Please understand me when I say that I love what I do. It has just been a real difficult adjustment. This season of my life has taught me that I have to sacrifice some things and to prioritize.

I have been talking to my best friend Becky about how I'm so exhausted and the covers seem to weigh a 1,ooo pounds in the morning. My eyelids feel like they have been glued shut and I'm in a coma. I can't get up for the life of me. I pray every night for the Lord to wake me so that I can spend time in His word and yet nothing has changed. I have tried just about everything...prayer, 2 alarms, setting my Bible on my alarm clock, setting my alarm clock away from my night stand, and including a faithful roommate. I just couldn't seem to escape the SNOOZE button. In the past 2 years I have acquired about 1 full hour of snooze time each morning. I use to snooze about 5 minutes or less. What's the deal?

I have prayed about this for a while and it finally dawned on me. I can pray about it until I'm blue in the face, but it's not until I put some action into it that I will see results. I mean, if you pray for a job and you don't write a resume or fill out job applications, the likelihood of you finding a job is really slim. If you pray for friends, but don't get involved in new activities at Church, the gym, dance classes, cooking classes...will you find them? Bottom line, you must pray and put forth action.

Bec and I talked about different ways to get me to snap out of it. I think the best thing we came up with is to give my future husband the "So Long Snooze Button" Christmas gift. I'm sure it's a terrible habit to have when you are married. I can't imagine trying to sleep while my husband's alarm is going off for an entire hour and a half and he won't get up. Why should I make him suffer? I also believe it will help me and my future marriage if I have an established routine that allows me to grow in an intimate relationship with our Lord. So for Christmas, I will be giving up my snooze...from here on out I will no longer be a snoozer.

I mean, if you snooze you lose, right?

2 comments:

Becky Kiser said...

i love you and i am SO PROUD of you!

Chef Mama Lori said...

Paula, I just have to tell you that you are right. It IS highly annoying when your husband's alarm clock goes off every FOUR minutes each morning! LOL! He actually bought me an alarm clock like his because he doesn't like the alarm on my clock. This makes me laugh because he is the one who uses an alarm clock 5 days a week. I just use it once or twice a week. MY alarm clock has a 9 minute snooze time. HIS, and my new one, have a 4 minutes "snooze." Seriously, 4 minutes is not a snooze.

See, you are preventing this difficulty before it ever occurs. You are one smart cookie!

And teaching does get easier! The first couple of years are the hardest. I'm so proud of you for your teaching job AND for giving up snoozing.

Hmmm, almost 2:30 a.m. here. I think I better go, um, snooze!

Love, Aunt Lori