Sunday, November 30, 2008

I believe

Belief. What does this really mean? According to Webster belief means, "a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing."

As you probably know... I teach Middle School in a low income community where all 130 of my students are English Language Learners and hormonal teenagers. Most of my students have a harsh home life and many cultural obstacles to overcome. So with all of that said, you can imagine the challange I face daily as a teacher. (I know there are other jobs out there that are tough and I have no idea what difficult is, but in my little world it's pretty hard.)

I was reading my entrance essay that I wrote to transfer to HBU the other day. I was 21 years old seeking education at HBU and wrote, "I want to be a teacher that gives to the children the love and acceptance that they need and deserve. Teaching is a career that I would like to pursue because it is a rewarding experience that enables me to influence the children’s lives."

I'm so thankful for that reminder. I need this reminder daily. I want to remember the reason I chose this profession. I know it can become blurred when you have a student that decides to ruin his life by bringing drugs to school, or takes part in an arson, or kicks a hole in the bathroom wall, or has a makeout session in my classroom. I can go on and on listing several reasons as to why I should not keep this job, but one thing still remains-I have a purpose. The Lord has called me to this place in time for such a time as this. I must remain faithful. In the midst of adversity, with my God, I will prevail...for the sake of these children's lives I must.

This YouTube clip really opened my eyes and also reminded me why I'm teaching.

I BELIEVE! I believe in the potential of my students, but do they believe in themselves? How can I help them believe? How can I empower and inspire these young minds to make a difference? How can I show them the love of Christ? Please pray that the Lord will grant me wisdom and direction.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

2 comments:

Chef Mama Lori said...

Paula, you have the biggest heart! I can just feel the love you have for these kids, the love that flows from the Lord through you, when I read your words. I taught elementary kids from those same homes, but they were only 7 or 8 years old. I will pray for you to be the Light of the Lord daily, and for you to have the strength to make it through each day, one day at a time.

Becky Kiser said...

You are such a good teacher and KNOW that you ARE having a huge influence over their lives.