Wednesday, March 4, 2009

THE BOMBDIGITY 80'S


I know I was only in elementary school during the 80's, but I love the decade. The fashion of the 80's were so colorful and so much fun. 

This past weekend reminded me of how much I loved it. The singles ministry, Summit, at Houston's First Baptist Church went to Trinity Pines for a winter retreat. TAKS season has caused me to need some retreating :).  My roommates and I drove up on Saturday afternoon after completing the 10K Rodeo Run. We arrived at the camp just in time for free time. After such a long week and running 6.2 miles that morning, I was ready for a nap. I also knew that if I didn't take a nap I would be too tired and miss out on the 80's prom later that night. I could not miss the 80'S PROM! 

Before the prom, each Sunday school class was encouraged to create a skit that would have aired on MTV in the 80's. Our class did a music video for the song Danger Zone from the Top Gun soundtrack. It was so much fun to be a part of the skit (even though I joined in at the last minute and had absolutley no idea what I was doing). It really is a silly skit (watch below for yourself-warning it's only funny if you have seen the movie Top Gun)! The prom part was so fun too. They played a little Michael Jackson, Paula Abdul, Debbie Gibson and some New Kids on the Block (although it was technically early 90's). It was such a fun way to bring back the good ole times.  



The Ignite Class


The Ignite ladies bringing the 80's back

Ashley and I 

 The 80's Prom


Here are some funny phrases that could bring you back to the 80's:

M.A.S.H. (this is really a game not so much a phrase-Acronym for: mansion, apartment, shack,      house. An elementary/middle school game that provided random futures. Example: "Last night I      played MASH with Becky and I got Jason as a husband!" ;)
The JAM!: So some friends and you are at a breakdancing competition. After one dancer does a particularly good combo of headspins and freezes he finally finishes up with a backflip. You say to your friend "That homeboys moves are the JAM!" (the emphasis is always on the word "JAM" so as it is louder and more funky than the rest of the sentence). 
S'Up: A greeting. Short for "What's Up?" meaning: "How ya doin'?" "Hey, S'up?" "S'Up? whats going on?
Tight: Really cool.
Homegirl: Female form of homeboy, a close female friend.
Doy (Doi): Short for "No duh" or "no doy"
Cool Beans: Cool, awesome, agreeable.
Chill Pill:  Take it easy. ie. "Take a Chill Pill! You're gonna get us all busted."
Bombdigity: It means that something is good. Example: "That outfit is bombdigity! or "the bomb."
Don't Have a Cow: Remain calm, don't get excited.



P.S. We won the award for the best skit!


What kind of things do you remember about the 80's-the good, bad and the ugly?

Stay tuned... I might  post some of my fav 80's pics, but I will have to raid my mom's pictures first.

4 comments:

Chef Mama Lori said...

I remember becoming an aunt at the tender age of 15 (wow, was I ever really that young?) and a few years later meeting these cute friends of my nephew & niece. The little girl had dark curly hair and was at every birthday party. :) You SO have the perfect hair for the 80's! What's really funny is that I have curly/wavy hair and I STILL hot rolled my hair every day! I remember getting it cut one time & the lady saying, "You have so much lift in your hair you don't even NEED mousse." She was talking about having TALL hair in the front. It was funny.

I remember Laura Ashley and Gunne Sax clothes. I remember BIG HAIR and a skinny body (that was ME!). I don't remember all the words you listed, but I totally remember Like, totally, like Valley Girl, like, talk. Gag me with a spoon! Oh, my GAWWWWWWWWWWWWSH! I don't think I ever talked like that, though.

I remember getting married to a pilot, which means I have saw Top Gun at least 3 times a year for the first several years. I also remember a certain scene that we always fast forwarded through! Never saw 2 people get undressed & dressed so fast in my life! LOL!

Mostly, I remember finding out that there was a difference in just believing that God & Jesus existed & that He died for everybody and having a personal relationship with HIM! Praise God for that part of the 80's!

Paula said...

Wow, that's so fun!!! I do remember the phrase gag me with a spoon... :) Good times, good times!

Chef Mama Lori said...

Hi Paula! I just came back to see if anyone else remembers the 80's but they are all too young, I guess! LOL! I also realized that I apparently forgot grammar. I have SEEN Top Gun, not I have SAW it! I remember knowing how to spell and write in the 80's! LOL!

Becky Kiser said...

MASH is so how the Lord speaks! ;)
we could be real sisters then!!! And Tammy would be over the moon!