Sunday, March 22, 2009

For Such A Time As This

Spring break is over :(

I'm so thankful that I have had this week to relax and to regain some perspective. However, I'm really anxious to return to work tomorrow. I know that God calls us to not be axious, but in prayer and petition summit your request to Him... BUT I can't help but have these initial feelings. Because God is so good to me, He gave me the answer I needed this morning through the message from Curtis Jones on 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. The Lord was speaking directly to me when he said "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing and give thanks in all circumstances..." 

I can't help but be a little puzzled about the word rejoice. What does rejoice look like? Does this mean I have to walk around like I just had a hanger in my mouth? What does it mean to rejoice always? How does God want me to live this out? 

My roommate, Nicky, reminded me about Acts 16:16-40 where Paul and Silas were imprisoned after being beaten and later found rejoicing in the Lord through song. This scripture has really put my circumstance into perspective and I have a better picture of what "rejoicing" looks like now. But, what does it mean for me? Does this mean I must go to work and sing songs to the Lord? Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't? I would venture to say that to rejoice is more than a feeling and more than just being happy, but about the attitude of my heart. It's about being satisfied in God alone. John Piper puts it best when he says, "God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him."  

The concern about my job has also caused me to question my purpose, value and effectiveness as a teacher. As I have been studying the book of Esther, I have learned that she prepared herself mentally and spiritually before she approached the throne physically. Esther was called for a purpose, "For such a time as this..."  She didn't run away from her circumstance or try to manipulate the situation. She simply called all her peeps to fast and pray with her and then responded. We must embrace this season of life and the "sufferings" before us because through those sufferings we are transformed. 

Romans 5:3-5  says "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."

My prayer, as I return tomorrow, is that I would rejoice in Him always, give thanks always and pray always.  I know the Lord has placed me in this place for such a time as this.

(Please pray for all teachers and students returning tomorrow.)

1 comment:

Becky Kiser said...

i love you. i'm so proud of you paula. praying for you.