Thursday, April 23, 2009

In Loving Memory

This morning I received a phone call from my dad saying that my grandmother (Abuela Oma) passed away. I'm super sad, but joy comes when I think of her wonderful life with us.

My grandmother was such an incredible woman of God. She stood by my grandfather throughout his several years of pastoral ministry in Argentina. She loved and cared for my dad and his siblings. My grandparents did the best they could to bring their children into a God filled loving home. She was a beautiful woman inside and out. She had such a beautiful singing voice. I would always love to hear her sing a special prayer before each meal... "La mesa esta servida ya gracias buen Dios que pan nos da gracias a Dios." The other song she sang was "Por estoy bienes o Senor te damos gracias hoy..." I especially loved hearing her sing the hymns at church.

The memories I cherish most of my grandmother were when she would come visit it us from Argentina and we would sit outside on the patio on a hot summer day and drink. Well, she would drink matte (famous Argentina tea) and I of course would drink juice with a few sips of her matte. While we sat outside we would play a game called "Veo Veo." The game as we know it is Eye Spy. I loved playing the game with her. We would also go for walks around the block and talk (al rededor de la mansana). Another fun memory I have of her and my grandfather is that we would always make "Capuchon" (a stew with squash, carrots, potatoes, corn, chicken...). After the entire family, Dad, Mom, Chris, Bryan, Shawn, Abuelo and Abuela, would finish we would all sit around and listen to stories about my dad's childhood and some stories about me and Chris. The time spent talking after dinner is called "sobre mesa." We would talk and laugh for so long that we would eventually be hungry again for some hot tea and dessert. So, then we would sit, laugh and talk a little longer. I miss those days so much!

My grandparents celebrated their 59 year Wedding Anniversary yesterday. One special story I remember my Abuelo Tito (my grandfather) telling me was how he knew that my grandmother was the one to marry. He told me that he was interested in one of her friends until one day when they had a church picnic. They had many games organized for the youth. One of the games was a relay race with an egg and spoon. You know the one where you have to travel a certain distance holding the spoon with an egg and trying not to let the egg drop? Well, they were playing and my grandmother was running with it to win and she saw that her friend fell so she went back to help her up and didn't care that she was going to loose the race. She just wanted to help her friend. My grandfather told me that he knew that something was different about this girl. He didn't really think much more about it until that night when he says that God gave him a dream about my grandmother and he just knew that she was the one.

I love remembering this story because it reminds me of my grandmothers sweet gentle and loving spirit. It also reminds me that God has a purpose for all things. I know that I will see her again on the other side of glory absent from pain and suffering. Praise you Father for such sweet memories!

Te quiero Abuela Oma! Tu querida nieta, Paula



4 comments:

Allen Skipper said...

I was sad to hear about your lose. I will pray for you and your family.

Melanie said...

Paula, I'm so sad your grandmother died, but I'm glad you have fun, good memories of spending time with her. She sounded like a really neat lady...and she had a really neat granddaughter :) Love Mel

Jen said...

Sweet, sweet memories. Love you P!

Chef Mama Lori said...

Sweet Paula, my eyes are filling with tears as I read your memories of your Abuela. Now we know where you get your sweet spirit. We'll be praying for your family and especially for Abuelo Tito. What a joy that they shared so many years together. What a greater joy to know that they will spend eternity together praising our Lord!